Thursday, August 18, 2011

I am feeling really down today about the state of food safety. I may or may not have mentioned this before, but the past couple years of my life have been marked by a sometimes-near-paralyzing phobia of foodborne illness (something I have been blessed to never have experienced). I am doing MUCH BETTER these days, truthfully, more comfortable eating lots of things without worry, but yesterday both raw hazelnuts and green onions entered my household, and they happen to be two of my longest-lingering fears. Then I spent some time reading FDA Warning Letters this morning and it really freaked me.

SOOOOOOOOOOOO I am going to do a Things I Love Thursday to lift my spirits! Because seriously it's just fear, and most food is perfectly safe to eat when prepared properly, something Kaden and I are very careful about.

Some Things I Love:

  1. Hoppy beers - particularly Lagunitas Hop Stoopid.

  2. Where we stayed last weekend, Crystal Hotel, Portland, Oregon

  3. Havin' a time with my man

  4. The sunny weather we've had for the last few days! (even if it's lousy and gray today)
  5. This new (old) CD we got, Fourteen Songs for Greg Sage and The Wipers. It's more nineties than nineties.
  6. Speaking of nineties, I saw So I Married an Axe Murderer for the first time last week, OMG I LOVED IT. duh.
  7. I made an appointment with a naturopathic doctor for my allergies & asthma, and I'm really grateful for all the subtle changes over the years that have led me to this place.
  8. Reading this book, Natural Acts: Gender, Race, and Rusticity in Country Music. It's pretty academic so a slow read for me, but fucking fascinating.
  • OK, slowly I'll be forgetting to think about contaminated tofu!

  • No comments: